Friday, January 19, 2024

Design Journal 01/19/24


 
I have been writing the new Red Wyvern RPG steadily for months, jumping in and out of the process. Although a challenge beyond anything, it can be gratifying and enlightening.
 
To start off by sharing glimpses of what is to be, I felt a need to embrace what I am creating. At first, this was meant to be like many of the new 5E clonish or alternatives that have been announced and are coming out in droves. But there was one key difference inherent with this build. It will not be that close to those. I came from the ‘old world’ of D&D and still have roots in the past. But I have embraced much of the newer outlooks on what a design can mean to a game and its players. So, in effect, I am berthing something of a hybrid of all past to present babies.
 
The result favors what many like in a game, but is not in the DNA of the current pattern. The current trend is to have simple and fast play. I am targeting to create a play-style with a sense of uninterrupted flow during a game, not bogged down in game mechanics. The flow is important! But so is the one thing missing from the larger projects of recent – options. Like 2nd edition, when the seeds of options started to blossom, I want that again. Large companies are held to certain constraints and answering to the many overseers. I am not. I am bringing the kitchen sink.
 
The Red Wyvern Role-Playing Game will undoubtedly fall into the ‘crunchy’ category by the time it is completed. I wanted each character’s core build not to constantly bleed over with every other build. Sure, there will be some shared features, but each approach should have a sense of being different, contributing in different ways. I will continue with this journal to share where the project is headed and listen to any thoughts and feedback as I go. I hope you will join me in this as we will be a community who will share in these adventures. Because I tell you now, if you are a gamer, you will not want to miss out.
 
 
- James S. Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment