Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Design Journal 01/03/24

 

 
For the last couple of weeks, I have been working on two Q-Quests, a new line of adventures. These short quests are meant to be used as intros for new parties. The quests are found around a starter town, so far one for each of the three major starter nations for Ballidrous. I have been enjoying this process, excited to see them in action. And maybe one day, I’ll hear how others used them to launch their grand campaigns.
 
The first one, set in the Lands of Tres, is undead themed and tries to tie in some of the local culture. What made it awesome was working through some of the new Challenges. Even though they will eventually be in the Red Wyvern RPG as core features of the game, making 5E versions has been interesting, and helps to test the bounds.
 
One is the Research Challenge, crawling around in a library, conducting some deep research. The design had me fully working my brain, thinking outside the box. Another was the Exploration Challenge. I wanted something that was not going across a hex map, trying to guess which was the correct one. Instead, I built it to be more ‘theater of mind’ with a system of rolls. And this is just the start of expanding further beyond the ‘combat’ storytelling style.
 
 
- James S. Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment